On 26th June 2012, an explosion ripped through the streets of Shaw near Oldham in Greater Manchester. The explosion was so powerful that it destroyed 4 houses and killed a 2 year old. Shortly after it was confirmed that the blast was the result of a gas leak. The individual responsible for the gas leak has now been charged with manslaughter. If you can smell gas, take action immediately – don’t assume it is nothing, as we found out here it can have very serious implications. Plumbing Pearland
Here are 10 top tips that will help you out if you ever smell gas.
1 – DO NOT smoke or use a naked flame. It goes without saying sparking up will cause an explosion.
2 – Remember to tell your neighbors and anyone nearby. They could be affected if there is a blast.
3 – Telephone the National Grid Emergency Service on 0800 111 999. An operator will advise you on how to take the correct procedure.
4 – Open all your windows and doors before evacuating the building. By letting the gas escape from the premises there will be less damage in the event of an explosion.
5 – Call your gas supplier and tell them about the gas leak. They will be able to offer advice and switch off your gas supply, and better call the professional for plumbing repair.
6 – Turn off the appliance you think is causing the gas leak – it could still be emitting gas. It is not safe for use until a gas safe registered engineer has inspected it.
7 – Have the full address details to hand to tell the National Grid operator, they will need to know where to send the emergency services.
8 – Do a head count to make sure everyone has left the premises. Some may not be able to smell the gas.
9 – Switch the gas off at the mains. This will stop the gas from leaking further.
10 – Seek medical advice straight away if you feel ill or faint. You may have carbon monoxide poisoning. The earlier it is detected the less damage that will be caused to the body.
This advice is suitable for both large and small premises. Next time you smell gas remember these 10 simple points – it could prevent a potential disaster and save lives. Plumber in Pearland